Thursday, September 13, 2007

Top 100 Reasons I Want to Lose Weight


In reading a fellow fat-blogger Half-Man's post on "secrets" to weight loss this morning, it occurred to me that I have been remiss in really articulating my inspiration for my new lifestyle. I've mentioned it in passing a few times but never really expounded - or, for that matter, really thought about it that much lately.

I suppose it's self-evident, when you are over 100 pounds overweight. Self-preservation should undoubtedly top the list. I mean really, if you're that fat, the chances are approximately a gazillion times higher that you'll die from some weight-related issue like heart attack, diabetes, or asphyxiating yourself while attempting to tie your shoes.

So I dug up this old document I composed a little over a year ago, when I was feeling really depressed about my weight and contemplating yet another soon-to-fail diet. As I reread the document, I cringed a bit at some of the memories it brought back to mind, but simultaneously realized that this is exactly what I need: a reminder, of what I want to leave behind, and where I want to go.

So without further ado, I am enclosing a copy of the document, titled "Top 100 Reasons I Want to Lose Weight", herein. Enjoy...




  1. I want to feel better.


  2. I want to feel better about myself.


  3. I am tired of being fat.


  4. I am tired of looking wretched.


  5. I am tired of my clothes not fitting.


  6. I don’t want to die young.


  7. I want to be around for my children.


  8. I want to enjoy a long life with my wife.


  9. I want to serve a mission.


  10. I want to go to the beach.


  11. I want to play in the pool with my kids.


  12. I am tired of feeling tired.


  13. I want to have better sex.


  14. I am tired of failing.


  15. I don’t want my kids to feel embarrassed by me.


  16. I want my wife to be proud of me.


  17. Food is fuel.


  18. I want to change my bad habits.


  19. I want to feel empowered by being able to change.


  20. I want to obey the Word of Wisdom.


  21. I want to go on amusement park rides with my kids.


  22. I want to try snorkeling.


  23. I want to try and scuba diving.


  24. I want my friends to say “you look great”.


  25. I am tired of feeling old.


  26. I want to climb Mount Monadnock.


  27. I am tired of having a big belly.


  28. I want to shower at the gym without feeling embarrassed.


  29. I want to run around with my kids without getting tired.


  30. I am tired of having sore knees.


  31. I want to spend less money on food.


  32. I want to spend less time on food.


  33. I want my wife to be able to hug me.


  34. I want to look good in pictures.


  35. I want to have a strong body in case of emergency.


  36. I want to regain my confidence.


  37. I want to be able to buy clothes in regular stores.


  38. I want to start re-building my wardrobe.


  39. I want to go skiing.


  40. I want to have more patience and less stress.


  41. I miss the feeling of a satisfying workout.


  42. I want to win a contest.


  43. I am tired of having a sore back.


  44. I want to be a good example for my kids.


  45. I want my kids to have better eating and exercise habits also.


  46. I want to have an active family.


  47. I don’t want to have a heart attack.


  48. I want to feel comfortable naked.


  49. I want to be strong.


  50. I am tired of flab.


  51. I want to go jet skiing.


  52. I want to try water skiing.


  53. I don’t want to be a statistic.


  54. I want to know how it feels to be in shape.


  55. I don’t want my wife to worry about me.


  56. I want to make a good first impression.


  57. I want to have more energy.


  58. My body is a blessing, I need to respect it.


  59. I want to fit in an airplane seat.


  60. I don’t like my kids to call me fat.


  61. My wife wants me to look hot in a bathing suit.


  62. Dang I want to look hot in a bathing suit.


  63. Come to think of it I’d be happy to fit into a bathing suit.


  64. I want to take control of my life starting with this.


  65. I want to build better willpower and self-discipline.


  66. I don’t want to break furniture when I sit on it.


  67. I want to see my toes.


  68. I want to be able to use on a regular bathroom scale.


  69. I want it to be easier to tie my shoes.


  70. I want to sleep better.


  71. I want to find my “six pack”.


  72. I want to lose the “spare tire”.


  73. I don’t want to become diabetic.


  74. I am tired of asthma.


  75. I am tired of obsessing about food.


  76. I want my dream to come true.


  77. I want my prayers to be answered.


  78. I don’t want to run the marathon but I do want to know that I could.


  79. My wife misses my skinny face.


  80. I want to be a Mike D success story!


  81. I want my picture up at Body Evolver.


  82. I want to fit into my cool ski jacket.


  83. I hate my double chin.


  84. I want to fit into logo ware like an AYL windbreaker!


  85. I want a comfortable pair of jeans!


  86. I don’t want to labor over food choices.


  87. I want to see my grandchildren.


  88. I want to be there for my grandchildren.


  89. I want to inspire others.


  90. I’m tired of tummy aches from bad food.


  91. I want to dance at weddings.


  92. I want to walk, not waddle.


  93. I want to climb stairs without getting tired.


  94. I want to carry my kids without getting tired.


  95. I don’t want to be a “girlie man”


  96. I want to project strength, not weakness


  97. I am tired of sweating when sitting still.


  98. Eat to live, not live to eat.


  99. I hate the flab under my arms.


  100. Did I mention better sex?

4 comments:

Moby Dick said...

That's a lot of reasons. It is a good exercise. I posted a set of about twenty reasons a couple of months ago on my blog. I wonder if there is not just one reason? One reason to live? To be healthy? To succeed? What is that reason? Is it just you? Just me? What is the one reason??

I am going to think about this. Like you, I have many reasons. Should there be only one reason??

John said...

Thanks for the link to FatBloggers. I hope that we will see you participating in the discussion from time to time. I am happy to show a little 'link love' back to you.

You and I have MUCH in common. 38, tired of being fat... and I agree with all 100 of your reasons. If you have Yahoo or Google messengers... I hope that we can chat sometime.

John

Half Man said...

Thanks leaving a comment on my blog. I can relate to your 100 reasons for losing weight.

stronglifts said...

Thanks for the link back. And a great great list. Write your top 5 & look at it on waking up/before going to sleep. It'l help you achieving your goal.