Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The Calm Before the Storm


I think I may finally be ready for The Big Drop. That is what I have decided to name my impending metamorphasis.

For all of my adult life now, I have been fat. Not big boned, not chubby -- fat. I don't think I've weighed myself in over a year but I must be pushing 330 pounds if not more. None of my clothes fit, even my 18-1/2 36 shirts which have pretty much always fit me through all my yo-yo weight changes. My weight loss failures are too numerous to discuss, actually too numerous to even remember. I think my hope my hopelessness has finally reached its pinnacle.

But this is it. I am turning 40 next year and I think I had an epiphany yesterday. My fortieth birthday almost exactly 15 months away. That is almost exactly enough time for me to achieve a big honkin goal: to get down to 200 pounds. If I put my shoulder to the wheel and grind it out, and lose 2 pounds a week, then in 64 weeks I should be able to lose 128 pounds. Depending on my current weight, the exact number of weeks, etc. - I think I can just about make it. How huge would it be for me to nail that goal? HUGE.

Susan is in a similar (albeit much smaller) boat, having recently figured she's heavier than she's ever been before in her life. She has decided to take the plunge and try Alli. I think her decision to get started is just the spark I needed to ignite the considerable kindling gathered under my butt and light my fire.

So I spent a few minutes last night and this morning checking out a few web sites and thinking about how to do this. One thing I've decided is to give this "program" a name: The Big Drop. Corny, perhaps, but I figure maybe giving a name to my pain will help me stick to it. Kindof like when kids that live on farms give names to their animals - they say once you name it, you can never slaughter it or eat it.

Meanwhile on a total whim, sitting here in the office, I decided to create this blog. Again, I figure the more I invest, the harder it will be to quit. So for better or for worse, I will use this outlet to chronicle the long journey on which I am about to embark. My sincere wish is that I will be sitting here in 15 months, marveling at this first entry and proud of the achievement I've made.

No comments: