Sunday, August 19, 2007

Cleaning House


Today's mission: purge. Out with the old. Clearance. Everything must go!

I pretty much went through everything: pantry, cabinets, fridge, upstairs freezer, downstairs freezer, storage room.

Actually while I did end up throwing out about 2 trash bags worth of stuff, alot of it was just old. Some of it was contraband, but not much. So the purge mission turned into more of an exercise in organization, which is good, because we haven't done that since we prepped the house for showings about nine months ago. And with eight people in our household, things get disorganized pretty quickly.

Anyway, mission accomplished. I now have a pretty good handle on what we have in terms of staples / ingredients, and should have plenty of room for healthy foods.

The next task is to make up a menu and a shopping list. I think I'll base the menu on the The alli Diet Plan which I picked up yesterday, mostly for the menus and the recipes. Not exactly groundbreaking material, but I like the menus so it's one less thing I have to think about. A couple things I like about the menus are 1) there are 1200, 1500, and 1800 calorie version of each day, which will make it easy for me and Susan to be on the same plan; and 2) for every recipe-based meal, there is a no-cook substitution -- which makes it nice for dealing with hectic days.

On an unrelated note, I worked out my weight loss goal yesterday. Funny, when I was first thinking about this last week, I thought hey - I'd like to get down to 200 pounds (nice even number, close enough to my "ideal" weight whatever that means), and I think I can do it before my 40th birthday. Given that I wasn't sure of my current weight or the exact number of weeks until then, I wasn't totally sure it was doable. Well, lo and behold, it is. I figure if I start on Wednesday (the day Susan returns), and my starting weight is 328, and I lose exactly 2 pounds per week, then I will hit 199 pounds on November 12, 2008, exactly one day before my fortieth birthday. How's that for serendpity?

6 comments:

Jenn said...

Hi there. :) I found your blog from technorati.
Anyway, I wanted to comment because I started alli on August 16th. I don't know if it is coincidence, but I'm down about two pounds already.

Like you, I'm not just 20 or 30 lbs. overweight... I am very overweight. My current weight is about 294 lbs. My goal weight is 200 lbs., but I am doing my weight loss in 25 lb. increments, to make the goals easier to tackle and not so overwhelming.

I wish you luck. :)

Jenn said...

Also, I don't know if you would be interested, but I am a part of a group weight loss blog, goodbyeblubber.com. We're all of varying weights, and many of us are in the 200 and 250+ pound range.

Jenn said...

Just wanted to say - oops! I did not realize you were a guy. That's okay, of course. I'm just not sure if you would be comfortable with the female bloggers at goodbyeblubber.com.

Kiran said...

WOW someone found my blog and actually read it, and didn't die from boredom in the process? Thanks for your comment Jenn, I will definitely check out goodbyblubber.com!

Jenn said...

Nope, I didn't die. :)

Oinkstop said...

Found your blog via FatBlokeThin's blog. I'm working on losing weight, too. I need to lose a total of 139 lbs, and I have about 115 left to go.