Thursday, August 23, 2007

"Morbidly Obese"? Sheesh!

I'm morbidly obese.

In perusing a few blogs from fellow soldiers in the weight loss battle, I came across a great idea on Oinkstop - Adventures in Weight Loss. In her sidebar, this intrepid lady has courageously posted her mini-goals which consist of her weight targets in terms of BMI categories.

BMI stands for Body Mass Index, which is basically a height/weight ratio calculated by dividing your weight by the square of your height. The resulting number is your Body Mass Index, which gives a rough idea of how fat you are.

The World Health Organization has created a set of categories for BMI, which are as follows:

  • A BMI less than 18.5 is underweight
  • A BMI of 18.5–24.9 is normal weight
  • A BMI of 25.0–29.9 is overweight
  • A BMI of 30.0–39.9 is obese
  • A BMI of 40.0 or higher is severely (or morbidly) obese
Isn't that special?

Well I'm 6'1" tall, so after some quick arithmetic I've calculated by BMI is 43.5, which, according to the WHO, makes me "severely (or morbidly) obese" (in layman's terms: WICKED FAT).

Man talk about wicked depressing. I mean who ever came up with "morbidly"? Dictionary.com has the following definition for morbidly:
  1. suggesting an unhealthy mental state or attitude; unwholesomely gloomy, sensitive, extreme, etc.: a morbid interest in death.
  2. affected by, caused by, causing, or characteristic of disease.
  3. pertaining to diseased parts: morbid anatomy.
  4. gruesome; grisly.
Oh ho ho, gotta love that. Let's see: "unhealthy mental state": check. "Unwholesomely gloomy": hmm, sometimes. "sensitive": surely. "extreme": always. "gruesome": hah - sure!

Anyway, taking a page from Oinkstop's playbook, I've come up with my own list of mini-goals based on the WHO categories. Here's the skinny:

Weight Categories for a 6'1 Person
WeightBMICategory
303 and up>40Extremely Obese
30239.8Obese
22729.9Overweight
18924.9Normal

So the first mini-goal is 302. If I can keep blazing at a clip of 2 pounds a week, I should be there by the 28th of November. Well Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas to me, I'll only be Obese!

Oh, one other realization: my 200 pound goal, while a nice round number, still leaves me "Overweight". It'll be another 11 before I'm "Normal".

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeew. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...

p.s. day 1 went swimmingly and day 2 is proceeding equally well; feeling very good about myself, more on that tomorrow.

2 comments:

Oinkstop said...

Hi there!

Thanks much for the shout-out. I'm glad you liked my idea about posting BMI goals, and I hope it helps.

Hang in there. Losing weight can be tough.

Mr F. said...

Hang in there dude. I hit the morbidly obese category at 302 lbs, 5'10. I wore it as a badge of honor. It's taken me longer than I would hav e liked, but my BMI went from 43.3 to 37.3, so now I'm just obese. The next goal is overweight? God this sucks, but I gotta continue.