Thursday, August 16, 2007

The Gift


I've just been given a gift. Susan has just departed for a 6 day road trip to North Carolina. With all the kids (her sanity is a topic for another discussion). Of course I will miss everyone - our household is eerily silent when the kids are absent. But my gift is tranquility, and time. I expect to use both to ponder and plan The Big Drop. By the time my family returns, I will be in full swing.

My first task is to figure out my plan of attack. A threefold strategy is required: food, exercise, and "psychops".

On the food front, I first need to figure out what plan I need to follow. There are lots of "branded" diet plans out there - Weight Watchers, LA Weight Loss, Body for Life, South Beach, etc. I doubt I will choose any of these, they either require too much time and money or are too restrictive. Then there is the "Mike D" plan, personally customized for me by the world's best personal trainer Mike D'Angelo of Body Evolver in Boston. I lost over sixty pounds following the "Mike D" plan about four years ago. The Mike D plan kicks butt however it scares me. Its guiding principle is totally no frills, take no prisoners, no mercy, food as fuel. I am not sure I am prepared for the kamikaze approach, but I'll consider it - maybe that's what I need. Finally there is Alli, which Susan is doing, which is basically a lowfat diet with calorie counting.

Once I pick a food plan, I need to put my house in order - literally. Out with the bad, in with the good. Fridge, freezer, and pantry will get a good whoopin. Then, I need a menu plan, and a shopping list, and I need to stock up.

On the exercise front, there's not much to ponder. Exercise is mandatory, and I need to do it. I just need to figure out which gym to join, and put together a workout schedule. The only things to figure out are what my strength training regimen will involve, and whether I want to sign up for a cardio class (like spinning).

Then there's "psychops". Psychological operations. Mental health. This may be where I need the most help. I need tools to keep me going. I know myself, and I know how easy it is for me to get off track. Committment and willpower is not enough. I need to be invested. I need motivational tools, checks and balances, and support. I have started assembling a mental inventory of the things that will help me here. I need to survey all the tips, tricks, techniques, and suggestions that I can find out there, pick the best ones, and execute. I want to create a "Big Drop Board" bulletin board in my home where I can post goals and progress reports, articles, tips, words and images that will motivate me. I need to communicate my plan to family and friends and coworkers who can encourage me and help keep me on track. I need to take the dreaded "before" picture (uy). Maybe a doctor visit is in order. Needless to say I need prayer, and divine guidance and support.

I am thankful for this gift of time. I have a good feeling about this. I have been here before, countless times, planning my next weight loss regimen. But this time feels different. I finally feel like the right pieces are coming together in the right way at the right time. My optimism has never been higher. I think I can really do it this time.

No comments: