Monday, August 27, 2007

Wow We're FAT


Holy cow we are fat.

I just read this article "Obesity rates climb in most states" from the AP newswire. Among other SCARY statistics, I learned that obesity rates climbed in 31 states last year. And Mississippi bears the dubious honor of being the first state to crack the 30% barrier. Thirty percent!!! Nearly one third of all adults in the state of Mississippi are obese! YIKES!

The sick and twisted side of me finds some solace in this news. Like hahaha guess what tubbo's, who's fat now? Everyone!!! So buzz off and quit looking at me like I'm weird!!! And then there's the misery loves company angle. Like: yep, we're all fat. Sucks, huh?

But seriously this is really bad news. The article goes on to call this a public health crisis. Uh, like, yah! You think?

Question is, what to do about it. Politicians will soon be falling all over themselves to fix this problem. But this isn't really like big tobacco, is it? There are no smoking guns this time. Well, there are, but what are you going to do, prosecute ALL the food suppliers? And for what? Because M&M's or Big Macs are addictive? Can't wait to see them try to prove that one in

Unlike cigarettes, which were proven to contain addictive chemicals, food is not chemically addictive (except maybe Doritos). The bigger problem is fixing the addictive behavior. Now I consider myself pretty well off: I'm well educated, great family, decent income, good support network, etc. - and I've tried and failed to correct my eating problems for at least 25 years. If a guy like me can't do it, how are we going to fix 30% of the population?

Well enough save-the-world blather. Let's talk about my favorite subject: me. On day 6 of the diet, and still going super great. The diet is totally mint - nothing has passed my lips except what is on my 1800 calorie per day menu. I am getting by without feeling overly hungry, and am feeling very good about the food I'm eating. I even sat around while my wife made homemade Toll House Cookies for the kids on Sunday and didn't even sneak a taste. Definitely a major accomplishment for me. Anyway I am hoping this lasts for awhile. I am dreading the inevitable onslaught of temptation and the slipperly slope of the little cheats. May these unholy phenomenon never again come to pass!

1 comment:

john - from fat to fit said...

Six days and sticking to the eating plan - a great start! Looking forward to watching your success.